The number one question I receive as a makeup artist is how to create a smokey eye.
Here is a step by step instruction list on what to do to create the perfect smokey eye that won't make you look like you have a black eye. You can use any three colors light to dark to create this look, but I've chosen a universally flattering color scheme with browns.
1. Cover the eye with concealer and then an eyelid primer base. This gives a true color match on the eye.
2. Put Mineral Veil under the eye to "Catch" all of the powder that may fall down - you can sweep it away later
3. I've chosen three matte Bare Escentuals eye shadows to complete the look: Soul, Pebble, & Java.
4. First, take the lightest color, Soul, and place it all over the lid and all the way up until the brow line.
5. Then take the second color, Pebble, and place it all over the eyelid.
6. Java is next, the darkest color. Place this color in the crease of the eyelid. Also, run the color just at the base of your eyelashes (where you would put eyeliner at) to create a darker effect.
7. Don't worry if this looks "choppy", you'll want to blend with a bigger eyeshadow blending brush to create a more flawless effect
8. Now you'll place eyeliner on the top and bottom of the eyes, as well as 2 coats of mascara on top and bottom.